1/20 Lotus Type 79 '1978 (Tamiya Grand Prix Collection No.60)
In 1977, Lotus introduced a ground effect car, the Type 78 which had a slim monocoque chassis and wide side pontoons with undersurfaces like inverted aircraft wings. Round 6 Belgium GP in the 1978 season saw the introduction of the further evolved Type 79. The fuel tanks were placed behind the cockpit and the rear suspension featured effective inboard dampers. Mario Andretti was paired with Ronnie Peterson that year, and the former drove the car to an impressive pole-to-finish debut win. More success followed, with Andretti taking 5 wins to claim the drivers' championship and Peterson adding another win to help the team claim the constructors' title. The Type 79 greatly influenced later F1 machines and its overwhelming speed as well as graceful design and livery earned it the nickname “Black Beauty.”
About the Model:
- 1/20 scale plastic assembly kit model of the Lotus Type 79 1978. Length: 220mm, Width: 108mm.
- The sleek, low profile of the machine has been realistically reproduced.
- Front and rear cowlings are removable even after assembly to showcase cockpit, engine, and suspension.
- The distinctive undersurface shape of side pontoons are accurately rendered.
- Metal covers for air funnels enhance great scale realism.
- Rubber tires included.
- 2 kinds of decals to depict No.5 and No.6 cars are included.
- 2 types of roll bars as well as air outlets on side pontoons are included to allow the choice of assembly from the car driven by Mario Andretti or Ronnie Peterson from either the British GP or German GP.
- The low, sharp side profile. Fairings are seen at the back of wedge-shaped side pontoons
- Rear wing features large side panels
- In addition to the radiator positioned in the side pontoon, oil cooler and master cylinder are also reproduced
- Detailed Ford DFV engine is equipped with metal air funnel covers and plug cables for enhanced realism
- Accurately reproduced slim monocoque chassis and wide side pontoons with undersurfaces like inverted aircraft wings
- Front and rear cowlings are removable even after assembly. 2 types of roll bars and air outlets on side pontoons are included
- Two kinds of decals to depict either No.5 or No.6 cars are included